Sunday, February 15, 2009

Ta Da!


Above is the picture that inspired me to make a Valentine’s cake for Ben. Everything is edible except the doilies. It was made by Bakerella and you can find step-by-step instructions at http://bakerella.blogspot.com/2009/02/valentines-day-gift-box-of.html . I really enjoyed working with fondant for the first time and I was pretty proud of how well they turned out. I originally planned on just making one, but I got so excited that I ended up making four. They were yummy. I really recommend the cake balls. The first picture shows the cakes as I am taking them out of their pans and leveling them. Next is a picture of the fondant, rolled out and ready to cut. The next picture shows the cake balls after they chilled for several hours. Then you see some photos of the final products. Then there's Abigail. Here she is in the cute V-day dress that Nana sent. Thanks!
Ben thought the cake was cool and he was impressed I worked so hard and long on them. He did, however, fall asleep early last night and I had to wake him up in order to be able to eat our treat on Valentine's day.

7 comments:

Nana (Lonna)and Grandpa (Max) said...

So cute! So adorable! So colorful! So perfect for Valentines!

Of course I am referring to my darling little granddaughter. But the cakes would fit those adjectives as well.

Stephanie said...

You are a culinary genius! I love them!

Kimbooly said...

Holy Cow! You made the chocolate box cake! I'm SO, so, so impressed! I was wondering if that's what you were doing, when I saw you made heart cake pans. But I thought, no, too much work. I'm so proud of you!

Sarah K. said...

love the cakes. very impressive!

Stacy said...

This is Kimberly's friend, Stacy. I'm so impressed with your cakes! They look beautiful! Cake making must run in the family, since Kimberly's made so many beautiful cakes, and I've heard all about your talented mom.

Tawnya said...

Oh my goodness!! Those are absolutely beautiful!!!!

Kristy Lynne said...

Katie, every time I look at this post I want to take a bite! I'm serious. I've seriously considered being a copy cat and making one for Brian just so I can have some for myself.

:)