Monday, March 26, 2012

Creation Museum

We headed to Cincinnati for Benjamin's early birthday celebration. Our friends generously offered to watch Bee and we were excited to spend a day together just the two of us. We researched many options for things to see during the day and curiosity won out, we decided to visit the Creation Museum. This museum presents natural history from a religious perspective. They present a professional museum based on the premise that Genesis is and should be taken literally. They argued that the world was created in seven literal days.


The prophets.

The Garden of Eden.

They believe that dinosaurs were part of this creation and that they lived on the earth up until shortly after the flood.

The serpent. Pretty scary.

This scale model of the ark shows dinosaurs walking up the ramp.

I loved their explanations and models of the ark. It showed how life on such a large boat might have been feasible with so many different animals.


This dinosaur was motion activated and would move it's head toward you and roar if you got to close.
I do not agree with everything that they present in this museum, but was interested in the displays and impressed with the high quality. I also enjoyed the movie at the end that talked about Christ and His importance. This museum made me extremely grateful for modern revelation that clarifies some of the ambiguities in ancient texts and for modern prophets who understand the plan of salvation and who help us know who our Father in Heaven is and how to come closer to Him.

I am curious to see what Benjamin will add to this post about his experience at this museum.

We spent about four hours there and even enjoyed a short walk on the grounds outside. We bought Bee a dinosaur magnet.

2 comments:

Benjamin said...

I was honestly expecting the museum to be hokey. I was surprised, however. As someone who spends a lot of time thinking about the relationship between faith/religion and reason/science, I left the museum with a decent amount of appreciation for their attempt to do just that: try to reconcile faith and science. At least they gave it a shot! And it was actually a pretty cool museum - very professionally done and not a low-budget operation at all.

My primary disagreement with their conclusions, however, stems from the fact that they even though they try to engage and respond to a number of different scientific theories, they pretty much ignore evidences based on radiometric carbon dating, which is fairly well-accepted method of establishing the age of things. (i.e. an earth that's 4.5 billion years old and dinosaur bones being about 65 million years old instead of everything less than 10,000 years old...)

And I have a hard time believing that Tyrannosaurs wondered the earth in the early post-flood world. I don't see smaller mammals (such as humans) putting up much of a fight. But I could be wrong!

Like Katie, the experience strengthened my appreciation for modern-day revelation that clarifies many of the things that are either murky or completely absent from the Genesis account of the creation and post-fall earth.

By the way, my favorite picture is the boy saying with disbelief: "I never heard this before in school!" That cracked me up.

Kimbooly said...

I too am grateful for modern-day revelation.