Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Camping Test Run

I fondly remember camping with my family as a child and want to create similar memories for my daughter. We decided that a simple solution was to camp out in our backyard. This really cut down on the packing time and the effort required. The tent was quickly up and we even filled up the air mattress in the living room before bringing it out. It wasn't a luxury camper, but it was a comfortable camping experience. It was convenient to have the kitchen, the bathroom, and all of our stuff readily available.

Bee continued her work as a 'paleontologist' while we prepared the campsite.


We had a nice fire and were left alone by the mosquitoes.

We read stories, laughed, and told jokes in the tent.


Bee was super excited and slept in between the two of us. She loved 'camping.' I was extremely grateful we had chosen to camp in the backyard. Especially when I woke up at 1 a.m. to a warm, wet feeling between Bee's body and my own. I ended up going in, cleaning up, and sleeping in my own bed for the rest of the night. Benjamin brought Bee in a few hours later when she woke up crying. The tent was empty for the rest of the night. We found out later that our neighbor (who is legally blind) had a scare that night. She had woken up during the night and heard our little girl outside crying. She worried that she had somehow escaped and was wandering outside alone. She was ready to rush down the stairs to the rescue. Luckily she overheard Benjamin trying to console her and she stayed comfortably in her home. Now we're ready to go on a real camping trip this season.

2 comments:

Tawnya said...

What a good idea! I wanna go camping in my back yard.

Kimberly Wilson said...

Just be careful. If the tent is left up, it will kill your grass.