Thursday, June 7, 2012

My Life is a Zoo

One of my friends is expecting a little girl this fall. She has two little boys and it would be an understatement to say that she was ecstatic about it. She has lots of fun ideas to decorate the baby room, to make blankets,  and to dress her daughter. She asked me, I am still not sure why, to paint a tree on the wall of the nursery. She provided all of the materials and even offered to watch Bee all day so that I could work undisturbed. She took her three children to the zoo. She did not go alone, though, and took two teenagers from church with her. They had a great time and really enjoyed all of the animals. She was especially interested in the giraffes this time. They left at 9 a.m. and did return until almost 9 p.m. It was a little weird to be without my sidekick for an entire day.
Since we are in the modern age, I was able to download these pictures off of facebook to prove that they actually made it to the zoo.



I spent a lot of my day in this room working on this tree. I watched movies on  the DVD player. It was  hard work and I am not entirely satisfied with it. No matter how hard I tried, I could not get the edges smooth. My tree ended up a lot wider and squatter than the original picture she had found off of Pinterest.

Following a suggestion on another blog, I drew the tree on with chalk ahead of time and then painted directly  over the chalk. This was fairly easy and effective. 

I used the tiniest of brushes for most of the tree and it took much of the work day to complete.

I returned another day and helped her place the vinyl leaves she had cut with her Cricut onto the wall, finishing the mural. 

Here is the final product. Luckily the leaves hide most of the flaws. She seems happy with it. I enjoyed helping her out but feel extremely incompetent. I definitely do not know enough about painting and feel like a painting class could have improved my talent and simplified this project. 

2 comments:

Kimberly Wilson said...

Wow. Cool on the tree.

Sierra said...

I love my tree! You did such a fantastic job! And we had so much fun at the zoo, except I forgot to take my camera. ;)