I finally decided on this one:
I looked closely at the picture and then tried to recreate it in a much larger version. It took me nearly six months to complete, but Bee loves it and really seems appreciative.
Here are some pictures of the steps involved:
|I chose most of the fabrics myself. I went to four different stores to find them all. Then I had to go back to all four stores at least twice as I began comprehending how much fabric I would need for a queen size quilt.|
|This sewing machine has been going strong now for a long time. It's amazing what a hundred dollar machine can survive, not that I wouldn't mind a much nicer machine. :) Especially one with more stitch options.|
|I have used my rotary mat and cutter so often since I purchased them. They were a great investment.|
|The needle sews beneath on the quilt while I hold onto the handles and follow the pattern with the laser. It was weird not to watch the machine actually sewing. Sometimes I would sew quite a ways before I noticed the bobbin was out.|
|Here is a full length shot of the quilting machine.|
|I made the binding, sewed it mostly on following a pattern that I found online, only to realize that I was following the wrong patter. I then had to unpick the entire binding and start over. Thanks again to Pam and Ruth Anne for helping figure out how to fix it and how to make the mitred corners. Here's the pattern to follow. I had to make sure I used the extra-wide instructions. Then I hand-sewed on the binding to the other side. I finished it the night before her birthday party, just in time to wrap it.|
Here some pictures of the finished quilt on her bed.
|Purple is a fun color. We're enjoying it at our house a lot lately.|