Sunday, January 13, 2013

Birthday Quilt

For months now, since July-ish, I have been working on a new quilt for Bee's bed. She sleeps on a futon, which ends up needing a queen sized quilt. I searched pinterest for ideas found so many wonderful quilts.
Girl quilt
cute little girl quiltquilt patterneasy quilt patternBaby girl quilt.......etsy.baby girl quilt

I finally decided on this one:
baby quilt pattern

I looked closely at the picture and then tried to recreate it in a much larger version. It took me nearly six months to complete, but Bee loves it and really seems appreciative.
Here are some pictures of the steps involved:

I chose most of the fabrics myself. I went to four different stores to find them all. Then I had to go back to all four stores at least twice as I began comprehending how much fabric I would need for a queen size quilt.

This sewing machine has been going strong now for a long time. It's amazing what a hundred dollar machine can survive, not that I wouldn't mind a much nicer machine. :) Especially one with more stitch options.


I have used my rotary mat and cutter so often since I purchased them. They were a great investment. 
I cut, pieced, and sewed this quilt together in three days. It then took me five months to finish. I actually had to pick out the green shown in this picture, because I didn't like it and I replaced it with a different shade.

I used a queen-sized flat sheet for the back. It was a super-easy way to finish off the quilt. I had plenty of the flat sheet left over to use it as the green strip and for the leaves. I still have quite a bit left and have some fun ideas about how to use it in the room.

A kind friend from church, Pam, let me use her amazing quilting machine again. I was much better at it this time and it did not take me nearly as long as Benjamin's quilt had. She was extremely patient with me and the heart pattern that I chose to use, turned out perfectly.

The needle sews beneath on the quilt while I hold onto the handles and follow the pattern with the laser. It was weird not to watch the machine actually sewing. Sometimes I would sew quite a ways before I noticed the bobbin was out.


Here is a full length shot of the quilting machine.
I made the binding, sewed it mostly on following a pattern that I found online, only to realize that I was following the wrong patter. I then had to unpick the entire binding and start over. Thanks again to Pam and Ruth Anne for helping figure out how to fix it and how to make the mitred corners. Here's the pattern to follow. I had to make sure I used the extra-wide instructions. Then I hand-sewed on the binding to the other side. I finished it the night before her birthday party, just in time to wrap it.


Here some pictures of the finished quilt on her bed.



Purple is a fun color. We're enjoying it at our house a lot lately.

4 comments:

Jared & Tristan said...

It is BEAUTIFUL!! and you are amazingly talented!! It looks great! and I love the tree on her wall too!

Tawnya said...

Oh my gosh!! I love it!!!!!

Kimbooly said...

It is just so beautiful, and you are truly so, so creative and talented. We should thank mom for our artistic and creative genes, yes? : )

Lonna said...

The picture doesn't do it justice--it is truly amazing!