Thursday, December 19, 2013

We Started With Letter C

I did a little research on pinterest this summer and decided to again have an alphabet-based curriculum. Instead of going in order, however, I found this order to follow:

Here’s the order suggested in How to Raise an Amazing Child the Montessori Way by Tim Seldin:
First set: c  m  a  t 
Second set: s  r  i  p
Third set: b  f  o  g 
Fourth set: h  j  u  l
Fifth set: d  w  e  n
Sixth set: k  q  v  x  y  z 

Circle Time

Active Play. This set has a variety of squares that the students walk on while listening to music. When the music stopped, they had to do the activity written on the square. The activities included things like jumping jacks, squats, arm circles, the crab walk, etc. We also have a large die that we roll to determine how many "squats" or "arm circles" to do. I have been surprised by how hard it is to make time for active play. I always criticized schools for cutting back on recess, but there are so many things that I want to do with my students, that I can now sympathize with the schools a little bit.

These girls love to work in workbooks. Seriously, they love them.

Dot markers are still a hit. I have more colors this year and they got very creative with them.

I love my sand tray. I gave the girls sand, a fork, and alphabet cards. Their job was to write the letters in the sand, one at a time. 


Grilled Cheese Snacks

This craft involved LOTS of sticky wet glue. The students put it on themselves, though. 

I've been pretty possessive about the alphabet tubs and Abby knows that she is not allowed to play with them without permissions. She was pretty excited here for free play with the camel, the cookie, the car, and the letter C tub.

No comments: